Saturday, April 14, 2012

Differences - Original Poem

No one there but you and I
Best friends forever,
That was a lie.
Now we are different
And our paths are winding away
From the deep, dark confusion
Standing in our way.
We shove aside the problems -
Just in time,
Yet there is always another wall
We are forced to shove aside
As we continue together.
Hold on!
I tell myself this often.
I know we can make it if we try.
Yet each day becomes a burden
And I feel as if I want to cry.
But hold back the tears,
Push through those fears,
Make the differences build us together,
And I deeply hope we make it through
Another December,
Just one more year.
Then I wish the same again,
Despite my deep fear
That one day soon
A fight will break free,
One that is powerful,
Strong and proud,
One we are unable to flee.
Our differences will become a landslide,
Throwing much weight on our shoulders,
Our friendship will be threatened,
Other friends will take sides.
Not wanting to loose them,
One of us will subside,
Saying the other is right,
Although they are not.
So friends we may remain,
Acquaintances more likely,
And our group remains together,
Although hostility often rises into the air.
Confusion is a problem,
We do not know how to remove,
So as we come together,
We really should not move.
Staying apart would be difficult,
Yet when the time comes,
It will be the right thing to do.
The challenge of  a lifetime.
The loss of a best friend.

~ALYSSA HELLENBRAND~

No comments:

Post a Comment