Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Foot to Stop the Door - Original Poem

A door creaked open;
Thin rays of sunlight snuck in.
My heart is safe again;
The walls around it are re-built.

Now I am able to sit,
Happy with where I am again.
Today I am able to smile,
Thrilled to have learned so much.

Yes the first heartbreak
Is a shattering event to suffer.
Yet it is also enlightening,
No other event wakes you up quite so.

With the goodbye of yesterday,
A door closed behind the memories.
Yet with the promise of new,
Someone had their foot there to stop the door.

With one goodbye,
There is room for a new, "Hello."
With the pain I felt,
There was strength gained.

Today is a new day,
Yesterday is forever gone.
It's time for a new heart
To open up that door and walk on in.

It is the time for trust,
A time to let someone new in this room.
My heart is still protected
By the strong walls surrounding.

Yet,
Tonight...
Those walls are willing to believe again.

~Alyssa Hellenbrand~

No comments:

Post a Comment